Thursday, June 3, 2010

Why yes, my microwave does bake cookies.

So, my new house has this super crazy high tech microwave. It is a Whirlpool Velos... and it can microwave (duh.), bake as a convection oven, grill (like chicken and steaks), and steam (veggies, etc). Pretty cool.

Well, the display has a super detailed selection panel and one option is for it to bake cookies. This has caught my attention repeatedly and today was the day. My friend Stephanie and I decided to bake cookies in the microwave.

We of course had to make the dough from scratch. No tube chocolate chip cookies here... (I'll post the recipe below if you would like it)

And here is our adventure in mostly pictures.


There the cookies are... just spinning around in the microwave.


Not too shabby looking... and we kept some dough safe in the mixing bowl just in case the microwave experiment failed.



What are cookies without the milk?



So the experiment was a success.

Some observations:

The cookies baked in the oven had a slightly more crisp bottom. The microwave cookies were a little gooey-er (spelling?) and softer on the bottom.

The taste was consistent. No weird radioactive wave flavors in the microwave cookie. :)

The microwave cookies took a little longer, but I didn't have to stand at the door and watch them cook to make sure they didn't burn like I have to do at the oven. So, I Iike that.

All in all (I feel like I'm writing my conclusion for my 5th grade science project), the microwave baking cookies is amazing!! I can't wait to bake a casserole or something in it too. Yes, that is a button also.

Hope you enjoyed my little experiment!

britt


PS-
Here's the chocolate chip cookie recipe... brought to you by Betty Crocker.

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
2 1/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)


1. Heat oven to 375ºF.
2. Mix sugars, butter and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
3. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. Cool!! Now share those cookies!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie Raines, RNJune 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM

    So much fun...and the photos are amazing! Who thought of all that setup? milk, candles? LOL And, I have to agree the cookies were YUMMY! :)

    ReplyDelete