Monday, June 7, 2010

Homemade Buttermilk




Having my own kitchen and all now, I am trying to make more things from scratch to save a little cashola. Last week I made some bread... yummy by the way. And this week, I decided to make some buttermilk. It was super easy, and I never have any on hand for when I want to make some saturday morning pancakes or biscuits or something else. And I found some recipes on Tastykitchen.com (yes, it is part of Pioneer Woman's website... :) ) to make a lot of things on your own. Things like buttermilk, caramel, nut butter (like peanut or cashew butter), bread flour, and so on. Things that I think will save me money AND since a lot of you know I am on a little (ok, big.) all natural/organic kick, it will give me the confidence of knowing exactly what is in my ingredients. So, I like it. Besides you know I have ALL this time on my hands... (ha ha).

I kinda feel like I live back in the days of Little House on the Prairie. And I don't mind at all.

In case you are feeling froggie, here's the recipe for buttermilk. I promise it is so easy, Madi could have done it... except she can't reach the counter top. All you need on had is some starter buttermilk (from the store) and milk. And then mix it together. Here is the recipe from tastykitchen.com. I'll let you know how mine turns out!


Homemade Cultured Buttermilk:

¼ cups Cultured Buttermilk (either Homemade Or Store Bought)
3-¾ cups Milk (Skim, 1%, 2%, Whole Or Raw)

Preparation Instructions:

Pour buttermilk (1/4 cup for a quart jar or 1/2 cup for a half gallon jar) into your clean jar. Top off the jar with your plain milk. Tightly screw the lid to the jar and shake vigorously for 1 minute. Place in a warm (but not hot) area out of direct sunlight. Let it sit there for 12 to 24 hours, until thickened. Refrigerate when thick. Use within two weeks.
If you re-culture this regularly, you can carry on re-culturing indefinitely.


Go ahead and push the button now. "That was easy."


~britt

No comments:

Post a Comment