Monday, August 22, 2011

Cleaning Below the Surface


We've all had those days when we're a little behind on house cleaning and then realize company is coming in a couple of hours.  So we pick up here and there and then do a quick surface clean - just enough to make the house look like it’s clean without really get down deep.  


I often have spiritual revelations in the most odd situations, but as I was cleaning the sink in Madi's bathroom (with a Clorox wipe, just enough so that it looked clean) I realized that often we do this with our lives.  We struggle with sin in our life, but instead of "deep cleaning" our heart and getting rid of the root of the problem, we just do a quick surface clean.  Erase the signs people can see in our lives and then just ignore the heart of the problem.  

Psalms 51:10 says, "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." God wants to help us clean out the root of our sin and not just it's manifestations in our life.  

As moms, its hard to teach this concept to our kids.  We want them to obey because they love us and because they want to honor God.  But in their eyes it often translates to obedience because they don't want a time out or consequence.  It's so typical of humans.  We are sorry because we get caught.  So we straighten up and put on a good front for the world to see without ever addressing the real issues.  

I want Madi to obey out of a clean heart and pure motives, but half the time I don't get it right.  I want to keep my heart pure before God, without sinful motives behind what I do.    

So, today, as you are cleaning your house or washing dishes or even working, check your heart and take a good look.  Are you just wiping away evidence here and there or have you really gotten rid of the root of that sin in your life?

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up" 
1 Thessalonians 5:11

much love, 
bc

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, friend! I am often guilty of "surface cleaning" both my house and heart. Great reminder to dig deeper.....and now I feel convicted to wipe the baseboards...ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ida - I know... I did a surface clean this weekend and I can't wait to go back and scrub. lol. :) And thank you!

    ReplyDelete