Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Things I've Learned About Picking a Name...

Have you heard yet? IT'S A BOY!!

I was definitely shocked to hear those words in the ultrasound room. Not that I wasn't half expecting it, I just can't believe that we are actually having a boy. It is definitely going to make our life more interesting having another male in the house. :)

So, needless to say, since its a boy, Josh and I cannot agree on a name. And its not like an aww-but-I-like-this-name cute little disagreement. Its an all out standoff between him and I. As in, I don't even want to talk about names because I am so tired of going back and forth. We might need counseling.

I will have to let you know how this resolves. :D

Anyway, there are a few things I have learned about picking names after reading my baby name book and then talking to my spouse and I thought you might like to know. (Just as a disclaimer, I am joking around below. My husband thought I was being serious, so I figured I might need to let you know.)

1. You and your husband might never agree. It's true. You might have to call your child two different names. Just prepare yourself.

2. The name must be something your child will be able to write in kindergarten. I mean really, why does anyone need a name with 13 letters?

3. If people look at the name and can't pronounce it, even after you have told them how to say it, beware. Can you get a complex from people never calling you the right name?

4. Just because a name is in the Bible, doesn't mean its a good name for your child. I don't think anyone wants to grow up with the name Goliath. Wouldn't he have an unhealthy fear of anyone named David?

5. Just because a name is in the baby name book doesn't make it ok. Really, you should stay away from Hitler.

6. It is not trendy to give your boy a girl name (like Amy) or give your girl a boy name (like Eric). Who wrote these baby name books anyway?

7. A letter cannot be a first name. "J", "L", and "P" are not names. (See number 6b)

8. Jesus, the Hebrew name Mary gave her son, is taken. It really shouldn't be in the name books anymore.

9. Any name that sounds like, looks like, or rhymes with a body part is not a good idea.


And those are just a few of my thoughts. I am sure I will think of many more in the near future.

Hope I made you at least crack a smile. :)
much love,
bc

2 comments:

  1. You'll come up with some awesome name I am sure! I always liked Benjamin and we won't be using that name so feel free to consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny!!! All of your comments are so true!! You'll come up with a name you'll agree on or you will pick it and Josh will just have to agree and get over it........ :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete