Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Child-like Faith

I think one reason God gives the world children is because they teach us so much about being a Christ follower. Not a week goes by that Madi doesn't teach me something about loving my Savior. One thing that has been on my heart lately is trust.

Our family has been experiencing some times of financial difficulty lately (which I am sure a lot of you can relate to) and my faith is being put to the test. It is extremely hard for me to trust unwaveringly in God to provide. I feel like I have to do something to help Him along or just at least have some control over the situation. However, looking at the life of my precious little girl, I understand a little more about what God means when He talks about having child-like faith.

As parents we expect complete obedience from our children. Yes, they often mess up and it takes time for them to understand what that means, but we discipline and correct when necessary. We don't expect them to worry about food and clothing, they don't worry about where they will live, children never ask if they have enough money to pay for our bills, and so on. Just like our children, God promises to provide for our every need. He expects our complete dependance on Him. We aren't to worry about feeding our family, about paying our bills, about clothing, shelter, or even transportation. God promises that when we seek Him above all else, He will be faithful to provide for our needs.

This is so difficult for us! Well, at least for me. I often talk about how I wish I could go back to the days where my only worry was which toy I was going to play with or what outfit I would wear. And then I catch myself and realize, that is EXACTLY how I should be right now. I should not be worrying about ANYTHING. When I worry, I am saying to God that HE is not big enough to take care of my problems. How preposterous is that? The God of the Universe who created all things can't handle my burdens? Especially when they are so small compared to what other people in this world are facing.

As a mom, it drives me crazy when I have to tell Madi to obey over and over and over again. I want to tell her one time and then that be the end of it (such a nice dream isn't it?). Sometimes I wonder why God doesn't just "spank my butt" as Madi puts it. He tells me to trust Him over and over again, and I fight and struggle against Him trying to get my own way.

What I love about the Lord is that He cares so deeply for each one of us. There is no problem too small for Him to handle. And just because there are 7 billion people on the planet doesn't mean that He doesn't have time to take care of each and every one of us. And when I become discouraged and feel hopeless and uncertain, I look to my precious child. How carefree and happy she is. How completely and utterly trusting she is. How she doesn't worry about what's happening in the future but lives completely, knowing that everything in her world is just as it should be. Just like what God wants for us.

much love,
bc

No comments:

Post a Comment